Friday, January 24, 2014

"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going. Are you coming with me?"


I'm a bit of a social media fanatic. I don't see this as a good thing; in fact, it’s a little nauseating.  I tried to take a break from Facebook for the month of January.  Sort of a New Year's Resolution, if you will.  Mostly, I knew deep down that my children didn't want nor deserve to see their Mommy with her face buried in her smartphone.  (Cherish that last sentence.  It may be the only time you find anything profound written here).  But, to say that I didn't miss it would be a lie.  I never had that "Come to Jesus" moment when I finally found the meaning of life while removing myself from the evils of today’s technology.  Did I enjoy my children more? To be honest, not really. I’m that annoying mother that could NOT enjoy my children any more than I already do.  Even that last statement was irritatingly annoying, but it is the truth.

For me, Facebook has always been a way to share moments with my friends and family.   All 729 of them (totally joking, its 728).  Mostly, moments of hysterical, ridiculous things brought on by my children. Or my husband. Or me. Some families thrive on schedules and routines. Specific naptimes. Baths and stories before bed.  Every night.  Homemade baby food.  Gluten-free and BPA-free and vegan, oh my!  And God bless those that do.  Our family?  We thrive on laughter. On no routine, even though my husband desperately tries.  We thrive on unexpected fits of gut-busting belly laughs at 9:00 at night, an hour after we said the children "had to be in their beds and asleep".  On fast-food runs. Yes fast-food runs when Mommy or Daddy is running late from work. On pizza on Friday nights. On chicken nuggets and hot dogs.  Those moments, that laughter, that “You get on her homework and do the laundry and the dishes, while I make tomorrow’s lunch and help him wipe his hiney”, that frenzied pace…that's what we thrive on.  Sharing those moments with my friends and family, just seems natural.  So now, I might as well just share them even more through this blog.  Doesn’t hurt that it makes my heart happy and puts my mind at ease to write.  In my unorthodox style, naturally.

If you're reading this and expecting every post to be funny, please don't.  If you're reading this and expecting every post to be about my two reckless children, than stop reading right now.  If you read the last paragraph and thought “Well, I have to stick to a schedule.  She must have been insulting my parenting!” Please don’t read anymore. Do yourself a favor.  But before you go, please know that I believe good parents do the best they can with what they have.  We parents (ok, we moms) need to stick together and support each other no matter our parenting style.  But, I may make fun of other parenting styles; although, not as much as I make fun of my own.  And, dear God, if you're reading this and are offended by sometimes crude and vulgar language; for the love of Channing Tatum, please press the arrow in the top left corner. Go back. Leave now.  And after all that, if you're still with me...well, welcome. 

4 comments: